07 Feb APPLICATION SPOTLIGHT: GEARBOX REPAIR
Atlas Machine & Supply uses four (4) CLIMAX BB6100 Line Boring setups to successfully re-machine this large gearbox. Atlas is a full-service Machine Shop and Field Machining group based in Louisville, Kentucky.
|The CLIMAX BB6100 Line Boring Machine:
The most compact in our line of traveling head portable line boring machines. Combines powerful performance with a flexible setup to meet an exceptionally wide range of applications and boring diameter needs.
|8.8 – 40.8 in.
|223.5 – 1036.3 mm
|length of bar
|length of bar
|Torque at Bar
|470 – 1820 ft-lb
|637.2 – 2467.6 N•m
Powerful Yet Compact
- Take the power of a stationary machine to the job site to solve tough machining challenges in record time.
- Using an 11.3 in3 (185.3 cm3) hydraulic motor produces 1435 ft•lb (1945.6 N•m) of torque at the bar at 33 rpm.
- Compact, modular components allow fast, easy setup, maximizing efficiencies and minimizing downtime.
Versatile and Flexible
- Huge machining range bores from 8.8 – 40.8 inches (223.5 – 1036.3 mm) in diameter and faces from 7.5 – 42.1 inches (190.5 – 1069.3 mm) with various facing attachments.
- ID and End Mount Bearings feature spherical taper-lock roller bearings for easy setup and removal of the bar and allow for up to 1.5 degrees of misalignment when setting up bearings.
- End mount bearings can be fine-adjusted by +/- 0.625 inches (15.9 mm) to center the bar.
- Optional dual action boring/facing arms increase facing range and allow for both boring and facing without switching equipment. Full-length square ways on boring/facing arms allow for quick positioning anywhere along the arm. Attaches to the net fit tool carrier by compression-clamping to provide maximum tool stability.
- Net fit tool carrier can be clamped to the bar for facing operations. The carrier can be adjusted for boring operations to remove clearance between the carrier and the bar. This flexibility also ensures maximum rigidity for either operation.
- For an even greater facing range and longer continuous stroke, the boring/facing arms are available. Setup is quick and easy for both boring and facing operations.
- Net fit tool carrier is designed with a split frame to simplify installation on the boring bar. It can be configured to use either the boring head set for boring, the mechanical facing head for facing, or the new boring/facing arm assembly for both boring and facing operations.
- With the leading and trailing boring head configuration, two boring heads can be used simultaneously.
- Highly versatile tool holder block accepts industry standard tooling with a nominal ¾ inch (19.1 mm) square shank.
- The tool post on the boring/facing arm can be rotated to provide maximum flexibility in the machining setup (including some cantilevered configurations).
- Features a uniquely designed modular tool carrier that provides a new level of strength and rigidity by channeling machining forces directly to the boring bar through strategically located adjustable guide shoes.
- Durable chromed bars, straight to within 0.001 inches per foot (0.0254 per 304.8 mm), ensure accurate machining.
- Adjustable, removable half nut increases net fit tool carrier flexibility. Easy removal of the tool carrier allows for the machining of multiple bores.
- Backlash adjustment nut allows in-the-field adjustment to eliminate backlash in the tool carrier and extend the life of the machine.