28 Sep APPLICATION SPOTLIGHT: BUCKET REPAIR
Brown’s Portable Machining & Welding out of Edmonton, Alberta, utilizes eight (8) CLIMAX BB5000 Line Boring setups to refurbish two 64-yard (58.5-meter) buckets from a Caterpillar 7495 electric rope shovel in Fort McMurray. These buckets have 24 bores and require 13 to 14 setups to re-machine everything, with several bores requiring facing, ranging from 4 to 11 inches (101.6 to 279.4 mm).
For onsite machining, we have the capacity to machine two buckets at once with five BB5000 kits and a large quantity of almost sixty (60) BB5000 bearings. We are also expanding with a new 16,000 sq ft full CNC machine shop to support our customers,” Scott Brown.
The CLIMAX BB5000 Line Boring Solution:
Our BB5000 is the most compact, versatile and powerful line boring machine in its class. Easy to set up, designed to make quick work of tough jobs in spaces too restrictive for most boring machines. Easily configured for difficult machining applications.
|Bar Diameter||2.25 in. or optional 1.25 in.||57.2 mm or optional 31.8 mm|
|Boring Diameter||1.5 – 24 in.||38.1 – 609.6 mm|
|Max. Stroke||36 in.||914.4 mm|
|Torque at Bar||40 ft-lb||54.2 N•m|
|Power Option||Electric, Pneumatic, Hydraulic||Electric, Pneumatic, Hydraulic|
Quick and Easy Setup
- Modular components make setup quick and easy.
- Fast and easy setup using high-quality cast-iron set-up cones and spherical bearing mounts.
- Patented spherical bearing mounting system allows quick setup, with up to 5° of bearing misalignment.
- Typical set-up time for an experienced operator is 30 minutes or less.
- Up to 650 ft-lbs (881 N·m) of torque at the bar – more than any other portable boring machine in its boring range.
- Specially-designed rotational drive unit provides 4:1 or optional 12:1 or worm gear reduction for increased torque at all speeds
- Flexible, High-Quality Design
- Through-bar design allows the rotational drive and feed unit to be mounted anywhere along the bar, even separately.
- Patented heavy-duty spherical bearing mounts ensure rigid attachment to the workpiece, for more effective machining.
- Highly customizable to meet a variety of needs.
- Available in electric, servo, hydraulic, or pneumatic motor configurations.
- Reversible electric motor.
- Fast, easy two-bolt change-out process to switch motors.
- Available in a variety of bar lengths, from 4 – 24 feet (1219.2 – 7315.2 mm).
- Bars are straightened and have ½ inch or 12 mm square-broached tooling holes.
- Accessories allow the BB5000 to be used for blind boring, line boring, drilling, facing, and valve repair.
- An interface kit allows attachment and quick alignment of the CLIMAX Auto Bore Welders for efficient bore welding.
- Extremely compact for ease of use in cramped, tight workspaces.
- Drive & Feed can be mounted between bearings for use in even more confined spaces.