02 Mar Application Spotlight: Press Surface Repair
Atlas Machine & Supply from Louisville, Kentucky, using two CLIMAX LM6000 Linear Mills to machine forging press surfaces back to spec in the western US.
Ron O’Donoghue, Field Service Account Manager for Atlas, said, “Atlas’s On-site machining Division has used CLIMAX equipment the last four and half years in 46 different states and seven countries for On-Site Machining and Repairs. I don’t think we’d be America’s first choice for on-site machining and repairs if we did not have the quality CLIMAX equipment for our skilled craftsmen to use!”
|The CLIMAX LM6200 Linear/Gantry Mill:
The CLIMAX LM6200 is the most powerful portable milling machine. A revolutionary, heavy-duty mill that can be configured for linear or gantry milling in nearly any position! Modular bed sections allow the length to be expanded from 48 to 192 inches (1219.2 to 4876.8 mm) without losing rigidity (with 32 to 152 inches [812.8 to 4470.4 mm] of travel). Designed to handle demanding and difficult field machining conditions with features that ensure greater power, precision, and accuracy.
|Max. X-Axis Travel||176 in.||4470.4 mm|
|Max. Y-Axis Travel||106 in.||2692.4 mm|
|Max. Vertical Travel||8 in.||203.2 mm|
|Spindle Size||4 – 10 in.||101.6 – 254.0 mm|
Rigid, Modular Design
- Unique modular bed design allows shorter bed sections to be combined to fit the length of the work area without losing rigidity.
- Unique bed length section design provides superior rigidity across the entire bed length.
- Connection plates and fasteners are optimized to provide the ultimate rigidity, even when the bed is extended by 2 or 3 times the original length.
Powerful, Precise Machining
- Features heavy-duty spindle design and a choice of Hydraulic Power Units – a 25 Hp (18.6 kW) HPU allows use of cutter heads of up to 10 inches (254.0 mm) in diameter.
- Milling can be done in any axis, with a milling head that can rotate 360° with an optional swivel plate for optimal spindle flexibility. An optional Z-axis slide assembly can be used for side milling and to increase the stroke needed for drilling or extended milling operations.
- Fast, aggressive milling in horizontal, vertical, or inverted applications.
- Provides reliable, precise milling to meet tight machining tolerances in both linear and gantry mill configurations.
Flexible Configuration & Operation
- Innovative design allows machines to be configured for traditional linear milling, or simply split the rails lengthwise to configure for gantry milling!
- Electric feeds can be mounted on the X, Y, or Z axis.
- Machining capabilities include milling, drilling, and even boring.
Reduced Friction Rail Technology
- Reduced friction rail system allows extremely smooth, continuous, and nonstick-slip travel.
- Precisely machined and aligned rails with advanced lubrication make machining applications smooth and efficient.
- Low friction system reduces maintenance costs and extends product life.
- Precision ball screws in X, Y, and Z- axis assemblies allow precise location of the milling head.
The CLIMAX LM6200 linear/gantry mill is available for purchase or rent. Contact a CLIMAX expert today for more information.