30 Nov APPLICATION SPOTLIGHT: GAS TURBINE SHAFT REPAIR
Martin Bachmann Keller EIRL, based in Lima, Peru, is using a modified CLIMAX KM3000 Key Mill to mill a notch on a gas turbine shaft. When the site was told the job couldn’t be completed immediately and it would take 20 weeks, MBK and the team were able to adapt their KM3000 and complete the notch in 2 hours. According to Martin ‘This example shows the versatility of CLIMAX machines. They are indestructible, easy to adapt, and designed with lots of reserves.’
The CLIMAX KM3000 Key Mill:
The product that started CLIMAX more than 50 years ago! A small but rugged machine is able to cut full-depth keyways or mill flats quickly without requiring extensive dismantling or costly set-up time. Designed for shaft diameters from 0.75 to 10.5 inches (19.1 to 266.7 mm).
|Keyway Length||6 in.||152.4 mm|
|Keyway Width||1.25 in.||31.8 mm|
|Shaft Diameter||0.75 – 10.5 in.||19.1 – 266.7 mm|
|Power Option||Electric, Pneumatic, or Hydraulic||Electric, Pneumatic, or Hydraulic|
- Compact, rugged, portable milling machine for on-site keyway and other milling jobs.
- Self-centering and self-aligning V-base.
- Needs only 1.5 inches (38.1 mm) of shaft for clamping.
- Clamps on shafts up to 10.5 inches (266.7 mm) diameter with optional chain clamp.
- Slotted V-base allows you to cut right to the end of the shaft.
- Vertical and horizontal travel via hand crank.
- Dovetail ways for accurate cutting action.
- Standard Weldon-type spindle accepts 5/8 inch end mills, or 16 mm shank end mills on metric machines.
- Precision Acme thread leadscrew with roller thrust bearings.
- Zeroing-type vertical adjustment dial calibrated to control cutter depth in 0.001 inches (0.1 mm) increments.
- Sealed aluminum alloy gearbox permits operation at any angle.
- Precision ground quill housing ensures smooth operation.